Re: [at-l] VA camping and hiking in late November

Greetings,

If you decide to hop along SNP in your car, or you want a reasonable base
from which to operate, you may want to check on PATC cabins.  I stayed at
Pocosin Cabin when I sectioned that area several years back.  I believe it
is one of the more easily accessible cabins and is just about one-half mile
off Skyline drive out a fire road.  You can drive out the fire road about
halfway to where it is gated and park to the side.  The car would be out of
sight from the Drive.  I have great memories of that cabin - good view from
the porch, a nice piped spring, and it was a great change of pace.  It's one
of PATC's more "authentic" settler cabins.  One word of caution, though:
most of the cabins are not for the mice shy.

PATC Cabins are at http://www.patc.net/cab_rent.html
A picture of Pocosin Cabin (did I mention that it's my favorite?) is at
http://www.patc.net/pocosin.jpg

Good luck with your planning and your hike.

Take Care,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:55:30 EDT, CWells4638@aol.com wrote:

> *snipped*
> In between those two stops, however, I would like to stop somewhere in the
VA mountains and do some camping, hiking, and/or backpacking.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for sections of the AT to hike in this
area that would:
> a:  not be too physically taxing.  I'm not sure the Dr would approve of my
pack weight.
> b:  have some place where I could reasonably expect to return and find my
vehicle unmolested

> Are any of the facilities along the Skyline or Blue Ridge likely to still
be open at that time of year.
*

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA