[at-l] Two Gross!

At 08:28 AM 9/22/99 -0400, W F Thorneloe, MD wrote:
>And not all that reliable insurance, given the distances from cell towers,
>and interference from mountains, rocks and other clutter.

OB is quite correct, cell phone coverage is spotty in many areas.  That's
why it'll be good to know that some of us in the wizard industry are doing
something about it!

That's right, turns out my company (which I work for) has an affiliation
with another company with plans to put up so many low-orbiting satellites
that you're gonna have to duck if you climb above 14,000 feet.  Two gross,
that's right, 2 x 144 = 288 satellites.  Check out www.teledesic.com.

So in five years  (nahhh, give it six) y'all can toss your cell phones out
of your pack.  Not that it wouldn't work, but you'll want to upgrade to the
latest Sharp palmtop with embedded video cam so you can broadcast live
video feeds with voiceover directly from your stopping point each evening.

OK, so the monthly bills may not be too cheap, but please, no whining.  The
pioneers woulda loved this....