Re: [at-l] the dreaded cell phone

In a message dated 9/21/99 9:00:18 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
wthorneloe@excite.com writes:

<< I would not
 call a person with a ruptured appendix particularly haphazard, but then
 again you may be more macho than most and would prefer to become compost, or
 would carve the abdomenal abscess out with a pocketknife.>>

I recall the story of the guy and his cellphone, that his hiking partner was
ill before they even started their hike, kept walking still feeling ill and
yet he continued to hike, before he became disabled.  That sounds a haphazard
hiker to me.

I'm not "all" that macho, but I have enough confidence in myself to hike the
trail without depending on an electronic bailout and I am willing to accept
any outcome.  It sickens me, that if it's for sale and with the slightest bit
of fear tactic in advertising, that people feel they need it.  How many of
the early pioneers would roll in their graves at this conversation?

<< Give it a break. No one is forcing anyone to carry a cell phone. No one is
 preventing you from reminding rude cell phone users of appropriate behavior.
 I would prefer that you avoid namecalling those who are either willing to
 carry, or too insecure to avoid carrying a cell phone.  >>

Whatever, OrangeBug,  I try to refrain from using the name "haphazard hiker"
to people that feel the need  to use cell phone on the trail, carry what you
will.

Sly