[at-l] Fishing Anyone?

I guess I should submit my fishing story to you at this point, since we're
on the subject.

Well, brotha, I had had an awful season! Everything I'd planted had been
eaten by blackbirds, just as soon as I'd started to sow. Fire had destroyed
my blueberry field at Springvale town, and termites had ate up my ice house!

And to top it off, a stray cat had died in my well. By last weekend, I
decided I'd better go out and stock up food for the winter. Ayuh!

I loaded up my gun, the one with the side-by-side barrels, and I started
into the woods to find myself some game. All day long I walked without
firing a shot.

In fact, I was just about to head in right about sundown, when I spied a fox
behind a rock about two rods distance. Takin' careful aim, I almost squeezed
the trigga, when I spotted anutha fox about 20 feet from the first one.

Well, suh, I aimed somewheres in between, the shot hit a rock, split it in
two, and killed both foxes. The kick from the gun knocked me into the stream
behind me, and when I come to, my right hand was on a beaver's tail, my left
hand on an otter's head, and my trouser pockets was so full of trout, that a
button popped off my fly, and killed a partridge.

All without a fly rod!

(adaptation from Bert 'n I )

Ern Grover
"Sweeter-Rain"