[at-l] the dreaded cell phone

I know this is sometimes a dirty topic, but it is something I've had
people encouraging me to look into at least for emergency use when doing
solo hiking.

I no nothing of cell phones/pcs though except that they seem to be
expensive and that they don't always work. How likely is it that a cell
phone/pcs phone (whatever) is going to NOT work say when hiking in the
Adirondaks or way southern portions of the AT or, unlikely for solo
trips, parts of the PCT. Since I'm already carrying a bunch of stuff I'd
want the phone to be LIGHT. Is that practical? Do lighter phones have
substantially less range? What about plans/coverage?

As I said above the main point for something like this is emergency use.
It is also meant to asuage fears of people like my parents (and granted
those fears are legitimate after all I do have some limitations that
others do not - a real honest to goodness disability sorry snoring
doesn't count though sleep apnea could I suppose).

  ** Ken **

**        krk@home.msen.com           http://home.msen.com/~krk     **