[at-l] Re: Self-defense seminars for hikers

At 03:21 PM 9/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I think that yours is a great idea.  I have taken the introductory seminar
>for Model Mugging, but it is hard to believe that I could handle myself
>effectively encumbered with my 20-30 pound pack.

Good point!  I will remember to suggest that students taking the seminar must practice these techniques with pack on.  Might even have some loaded packs at the seminar for demos or suggest they bring theirs to class.

>It seems to me that a
>little instruction in how to defend myself equally well with a stick could go
>a long way.  I have 2 sticks (2 Lekis) that I use all the time to keep me
>upright on the trail.  How nice it would be to be able to give them an
>additional job to justify their expense.

Yes, this was the next question I was going to ask if it looked like there was interest in the idea.  Not everyone carries a wooden staff. Many (most?) prefer Leki-stype sticks. What percentage of AT hikers do you think carry Leki's over wooden staffs?  The techniques taught will be different with Lekis, since they don't have the weight behind them in a blow. Haven't decided yet whether to incorporate Leki techniques into the first seminars, or just stick with traditional wood, at least at first.

>Let's hear more.

Thanks, the positive response is very encouraging! What questions would people most likely ask at a seminar, or if calling about it?  What would they be most curious about?

Best,

SJ