[at-l] Re: Self-defense seminars for hikers

At 02:30 PM 9/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Well hey if a dancer thru walks the AT to teach dancing, why not a dojo
>thru hike to pass on the dojo art?

Thanks for the encouragment. I heard about the dancer, unusual hiking concept.

Actually, I wasn't planning on teaching while on the Trail. One of the most fundamental precepts of traditonal martial arts is to keep one's training "your best kept secret". In order to teach, of course, I identify myself as a student of the arts, but in "everyday life" I never mention it. None of my co-workers or aquaintances know I'm a student, and I've been training for 15 years.  Unfortunately, Hollywood, the media (and shopping-mall Tae Kwon Do places) have led people to believe that martial arts is for people who want to "kick butt". But in reality, if you train with a good heart at a traditional dojo (hard to find), the closest analogy I can give is that being a student of the dojo is like being a member of a monastery - it's a private, spiritual peaceful lifestyle.

So, I would NOT wish to be known as "that karate-kid, or Bruce Lee hiker", or some such silly thing on my thru-hike<g>. But I would very much like to help fellow hikers be safe by sharing some of the simple, yet extremely effective dis-arming and defense techniques through seminars in my area. Once on the trail,  I'd prefer to just...hike. :o)

Sincerely,

Steven J.