Subject: Re: [at-l] Eminent domain
Author:  kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net> at ima
Date:    8/23/99 6:53 AM

At 05:28 AM 8/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Sloetoe writes:
> >     Think about it. The simplest term for what we're hashing about here
> >     is a "public good" and the simplest definition is that a public
> >     good is something which, if provided for one, may be provided for
> >     all (at no extra cost). National defense, education, town squares,
> >     highways, and yes, recreation resources like our own AT, are
> >     different examples of "public goods."

One thing that surprised me....we do tend to think we're the good guys
<but> folks backing development refer to development as in the greater public
good because, according to them:

that there are many more skiers than hikers

they restrict the access of the majority of users in favor of an
overpriviledged minority group.

it would be limiting access to our great natural resources for all, while
only permitting a
limited few have it for their narrow use.

To some people, we are the minority, our use is narrow,
and development is in the public good,  So we gotta be careful with that public
good line because I fear we lack the numbers.

Funny.....I don't feel overpriviledged.............