Re: Re[2]: [at-l] Eminent domain

In a message dated 8/21/99 6:15:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kahley7@ptd.net
writes:

> But this
>  whole thing is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I just
can'
>  help but think of ALL the people who lost their homes and their heritage
>  to build the trail.

Oh, puh-leez.....

HERITAGE!  What about the heritage of the Native Americans whose land it was
before we stole it from them.  Why doesn't somebody tackle a comparison of
the concepts of manifest destiny with eminent domain?  Maybe we should liquor
up the owners of Saddleback and have them sign a conveyance of title while
they are drunk.  That's probably the way that property was first acquired by
whites.  (Just conjecture -- I don't need someone to do a title search! <g>)

Our whole culture is based on greed it seems, and the concept of private
property is the linchpin that holds the whole stinking edifice together.  I
have sympathy neither for the gov't or the property owners in this case,
though I do hunger to see the land remain undeveloped.  Otherwise, another
irreplaceable natural part of the American heritage may vanish forever.  It's
the heritage of out grandchildren we should be concerned about.  Remember the
quote Earthworm reminds us of:  "A world without wilderness is a cage."

Happy trails,

Solar Bear