Subject: [at-l] Suggestions for Reading???
Author:  "Lynn Setzer" <hikester@mindspring.com> at ima
Date:    8/14/99 5:27 PM

The John Muir quote has prompted this question.

First, the background:  I'm seriously considering pulling together and
proposing a special topics course in "Essays on American Environmentalism."
Just off the cuff, I'd put the following on the reading list.

**Wallace Stegner, Beyond the Hundredth Meridian

** Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

** H. D. Thoreau, Walden

I'd like to include something from John Muir, but don't know where to start.

Anybody have any ideas about who/what would be excellent choices for such a
class?  I'm looking for non-fiction commentaries, writings that have
prompted serious environmental responses.  Plus, I don't want the list to
have a Western-exclusive point of view.

Lynn