Re: [at-l] Scouting and Growing Spirit in a Young Boy--Need a White Blaze

I'm not sure what your moving to Virginia has to do with it but y'all come
if you want to -- it's where I am and I like it alot!  There's a lot of
trail in ole Virginny ...

But you asked about scouting:  I couldn't wait to follow my sister into
Brownie Scouts so I guess I was a scouting fan from about age 4.  From 8 to
13 the entire year focused on Girl Scout Camp which, as I grew up in the SW
Chicago suburbs was in a forest inland a bit from the eastern shore of Lake
Michigan.  I finished up at age 16 as a Mariner Scout, sailing and canoeing
and camping.  My childhood summers also included a week at Girl Scout Day
Camp in the Chicago Forest Preserves.  Ma was a born naturalist.  Pa adored
camping.  Our vacations were camping trips to Indiana State Parks, where we
tramped through the woods and caves.

My sons couldn't be hauled beyond Cub Scouting.  But they didn't have to
study for Earth Science tests, either.  I didn't take them camping, nor even
picnicing much, yet they're "green" through and through and think my hike's
the best thing any of us have ever done.

If your grandson wants scouting, go ahead and follow him.  You're going to
have more fun than he does, tho, no matter how much fun he has!  Truly, one
of my objectives in attempting a thruhike was to set a mark my
granddaughter'd have to reach for.  She's gotten too big for the backpack
her mom used to use to take her on day hikes in California.  Her first
birthday present from me was a full set of REI fleece -- which she adored!
:D

Go Grandma!