RE: [at-l] Cookout at Lake Tiorati, 7/31 & 8/1

Yes the picnic area is open. Yes the AT is open to thruhikers. However you
better look like thruhikers - not just claim to be one. We were supposed to
lead a nature hike from Tiorati, north on AT and loop back on road on
Saturday. The hikes are partly sponsored by the park and they have cancelled
them - sort of like an NPS ranger led hike. They really don't want people in
the woods. The thruhiker exemption is a very small concession, which real
thruhikers should be grateful for and not abuse by trying to skirt the
letter of their rules. Too much abuse will result in shutting it down for
real thruhikers and force them to use the roads.

If you really want to hike over the weekend, the only thing nearby that is
open are the trails on the east side of the Hudson, or NJ, or AT west of
Harriman from Rt 17, i.e. up Agony Grind. I doubt that you want to carry
full packs to look the part of a thruhiker.