[at-l] Re: By the numbers

Actually, it doesn't. The way UV light works is to have deep penetration
into the water shortly before entering potable water supply. Commercial UV
does this by passing water through a bank of UV sources, allowing a slow
flow and turbulence to assure that essentially all water touches the light
source (as well as suspended nasties). Solar UV is not that efficient, at
least in dark and wooded country like the Smokies. This might work above
tree line in Rockies or Himalayas, where tickle out flow is spread across
rock and exposed to direct sunlight for an extended time.

The portable UV will be a pump (slow) and light combination, with a
prefilter. To do the job that will kill Giardia cysts, I suspect that
weight benefit will belong to the current pump systems for a long time. For
those who require viral free water, purifying systems (pump, filter, and
iodine) will be required, but this is usually limited to third world
travelers. For those most interested in weight savings, Iodine will remain
the standard.

Got to go and get ready for my Rotary club, as we prepare to fend for our
lives!

;-)

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA