[at-l] Planning Hot Springs to Erwin Section Hike

Hi y'all...

Am hoping to hike with one or more friends between Hot Springs and Erwin in
mid-August unless temps are ridiculously high because, well, because that's
when my window of opportunity is.  Will likely break it up into two segments
(Hot Springs to Sam's Gap and Sam's Gap to Uncle Johnny's/Erwin).  We will
have two vehicles, and there is at least one person going who wants to keep
daily mileage down to about 10 or so.

So... trying to find out the following:

1) A good, safe place to park a vehicle for a few days in Hot Springs.  My
first thought is the campground if they allow parking for non-guests.  But
they may not (does anyone know?) and/or... perhaps there's a better option.

2) Same at or near Sam's Gap.

3) Any shelters within this section with springs notoriously dry that time
of year.  Watching the Weather Channel the past week or so, it seems the
area is getting some decent rain (or is the WC misinterpreting once more?).
As mid-August nears, I'll seek better info about water conditions in general
in the area but I want to steer clear of shelters with notoriously slow
springs in the initial planning stages.

Any and all input is welcome.  If you don't want to post to the List please
use skyline@shentel.net.

Thanks,

Skyline