[at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #1197

In a message dated 7/12/1999 1:02:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-at-l-digest@majordomo.hack.net writes:

<< Guess I've been spoiled by all the springs on the AT. For future
 reference, will iodine work in toad ponds, beaver ponds, and
 motorboat-infested lakes? If not, it's back to the filter...

There is a better answer, at least I think so.  While I had gone from a Pur
Hiker to the iodine tablets in an effort to lose weight, I realized that it
meant hauling a liter or so of water one half hour, which usually gets you to
the next water source.  That means that the weight savings of getting rid of
the filter cost me one liter of water or around 2 lb.  Not too good there.
Instead of going back to the Pur Hiker, I now use the Safewateranywhere
Inline microfilter, which you basically put in the middle of the hose that
goes from the water bladder to the nozzle at the end of the hose.  It weighs
but two ounces and allows for instant drinking.

I also carry one half liter as an emergency water source.  That is now
carried in one of newer filter bottles on the market, the Exstream one half
liter.  This is different from the Safewater in a couple of ways.  First, it
is filled from the top so you do not put the "business end" in the water
source to fill it.  Second, unlike the Pur Hiker and the Safewater Anywhere
products, the Exstream is also a purifier that has both an iodine area to
kill the suckers and then a post filter to remove that taste, which really
never bothered me too much anyway.

We have a great deal on both of these if anyone is interested.

Kevin