Re: [at-l] Bryson etc.

> All in all, a pretty good gentleman - at least for a Limey.

Since we're collectively picking nits... Bryson isn't from the UK. He was born
in Des Moines.

For the record, all of his books make me laugh out loud. Somehow, I guess I meet
a lot of the same people or have the same experiences traveling that he does.

As far as "A Walk in the Woods" goes, it does not encompass all of my
experiences hiking, but I've read quite a bit of these personal journey books,
written by trail hounds and outdoors people of every ilk (hunters, day hikers,
long distance hikers, fisher-folk, wildlife photographers etc, etc.) and every
one brings me something I can take away.

I think a lot of what happens to him and Katz happen to the vast majority of
attempted "thru's" that don't make it. Add a touch of something because chances
are he already had an advance in hand (and probably spent :)...

On this list we seem to dedicate ourselves to two things. Having fun and trail
wisdom. The first is easy with this list. The second I define as the collective
hiking experience of everyone here. The mistakes and successes. The "galloping
tents" and the "I survived the rattler" stories. Each of which makes anyone
paying attention just a bit more trailwise. At the very least.

Daniel