Re: [at-l] Byrson & A matter of perspective.

>  Since the publishing of Bryson's book, he's been thoroughly trashed on
>  this and other mailing list.
>
>  Why is that? I'm not really sure. However I suspect that there are
>  several motives. How dare some one not do a pure hike of the AT and turn
>  around and write a best selling book about his misadventures.

Perhaps it's because Bryson, unlike Paul Hemphill in "Me and the Boy,"
neglected to mention anybody who was a minister before their first thru hike
and, after one or two more, became the self proclaimed guardian of the
"spirit" of the trail -- whatever that is.  (I said it was "a little dear
tripping through the forest" but that was censored.)

And now, for the DISCLAIMER:

These are my opinions alone.  I am not posting here to try to persuade anyone
that I am correct, nor to insist that you adopt my thinking as your own, nor
would I be offended should you disagree with me, nor to suggest that if you
disagree with me that you find some other forum in which to express your
ideas.  None of that absolutely, and please do not take it that way.  God
forbid that the world should turn on my ideas, alone.  I have enough trouble
sometimes with them, myself.

       ()
       /\
      /  \