[at-l] Left behind, selfish, et. al.

It is no more selfish for a person to want to thru-hike, than
it is for another to ask them not to. I firmly believe that
with sacrifice and compromise, a thru-hike can be done by
people in most any family situation. Go home once a month.
Have the family meet the hiker once a month. Figure out a way.
Once something is started, it easier to adjust to it, and make
the best of it. I think when a person with a ten year old
child wants to thru-hike, but doesn't, and then looks back on
the opportunity 20 years later, regrets abound. But, 20 years
later, the now 30 year old child would simply say "Remember
that time you hiked the whole AT? That was pretty cool." After
all, unless you're on a Mississippi chain-gang in the summer,
5 months ain't that long.

Gees, Eloise, what a butchered up,
preposition-ending-sentence-laden pair of graphs that was...
I'm just sayin' to make it work.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98