Re: [at-l] Re: AT

What you said _was_: "One of the biggest dissapointments to me about the AT
is just how easy the half that I have done has been. Aside from a very
small portion of the trail, the path itself is, in my opinion, overkept and
over easy. It appears more like a rugged jogging path now than a wilderness
trail."

Due to the fact that it is within 3 hours of 150M people, and very
frequently used, it requires substantial maintenance to avoid turning into
a gully where a ridge had been. (Take a good look at the trail near
Newfound Gap, NC.) Obtaining property for the trail created the need to
creatively locate the trail, even if a bog was involved. I can't imagine
why anyone would complain about a feature to speed you out of New Jersey
and back toward some pretense of wilderness! Thank goodness for the bad
weather routes to help avoid more injuries and rescues.

I am very glad for the maintainers and dreamers who created and "over-keep"
the AT. It is in the original vision for those seeking a week or 2 of
respite from the city without a great deal of expense or hardship. Those of
us dreaming of a 6 month hiking binge are definitely _not_ what the trail
was designed for. The AT is a relaxation and recreation resource, not
simply a place to display testosterone.

OrangeBug
Atlanta, GA