Re: [at-l] Re: at-l-digest V1 #1168

In a message dated 6/11/99 12:35:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
PaddyBeer@aol.com writes:

<< > One of the biggest dissapointments to me about the AT is just how easy
the
 > half that I have done has been.  Aside from a very small portion of the
 > trail, the path itself is, in my opinion, overkept and over easy.  It
 appears
 > more like a rugged jogging path now than a wilderness trail. >>

Paddy, i'm happy for you that you are in splendid physical strength with
abundant energy and stamina. Also, that your zest for true wilderness exists.
Good for you.

I'm really sorry that with all the information about the AT available, that
you did not know in advance the not-so-very-wild nature of this, our first
national scenic trail. And i'm even more sorry that once you found out how
overkept and over easy you found it to be, you were disappointed in the
journey.

Could you please tell me the points along the journey where it was overkept
and overeasy? I'd really like to enjoy the parts that didn't have
ankle-twisting rocks or eroded hills of mud in which you get no traction, or
(as in last spring's El Nino) travelling along the Appalachian River. But
then again, if i didn't have these things, i may be disappointed.

AT's more than enough wilderness and challenge for this suburban flower.

Second Chance
Springer, GA-Atkins, VA '98-'99