Re: [at-l] Pack Choices

In a message dated 6/5/99 2:29:22 PM EDT, delita@mindspring.com writes:

<< I am working on finding a pack that will work for me to thru-hike the AT.
 Since I am an inexperienced backpacker I am depending on research and
 helpful comments to aim me in the right direction.  I intend to rent before
 I buy, but would very much like to cover the field in my search.  Here is
 what I am looking at so far:

 Osprey Impala
 Gregory Reality
 Dana Bighorn

 They are all the same weight (4 lbs. 13 oz.) and about the same capacity
 (3600-3900 cu. in.).  My primary concerns are light weight without
 sacrificing stability, and comfort on a female frame.  I would much
 appreciate any comments on these packs, or any suggestions of others I
 should look at.  Please don't assume I have rejected your favorite; I truly
 just don't know what to look at.  I would happily go lighter if I don't
 have to hire an expert to follow along and load the thing for me. ;-)  TIA!

 Delita
 GA > ME '01

You may not know this, but there are backpacks that are designed for women.
You do not have to settle for a pack designed for a man and only fits after
fiddling with it to get it to fit.

REI has a section on how to choose the right backpack:
 <A HREF="http://www.rei.com/EGA/choose/chcamptop.html">REI: How to choose
the Right Backpack
</A>

You can also get information on some packs and pictures of them at REI and
Campmor. REI has photo's and Campmor has line drawings.
 <A HREF="http://www.rei.com/">REI Home Page - REI for camping, hiking,
clim...
</A>

 <A HREF="http://www.campmor.com/">Campmor</A>