Re: [at-l] Ouwwwwie

>Well it's almost two days since my first 14miler on a trail.
>I have walked to town and back several times and that is
>14miles, but on a trail, with a pack it is much differnt.  Just
>wanted to share.  In fact if I could share the stiffness I would<G>.
>To all you stretchers out there.  What do you do?  When? How?
>Does it help?  Will it knock ten years off my age?  Will I be
>able to play the piano?

No promises on the piano-playing but...

Kahley - I stretch both before and after I exercise.  Before, just a
tiny bit and very gently, just to get going, and after to actually get a
good stretch and to prevent injury the next time I exercise.

Some of the things I do:

1 - Touch your toes, either standing or sitting (ya know the one you
always in elementary school gym class...).  Good for backs of legs.

2 - While standing, cross your legs at the ankle and touch your toes
(use a wall, tree, fellow hiker for balance if necessary).  Good for sides
of knees.

3 - Balance on one leg and pull the ankle of the other (obviously not
the one you're standing on! :-) leg up behind you, like you're kicking your
own butt.  Gently lean forward while doing this to deepen the stretch.  This
is good for the quads.

4 - Lean your back against a wall, with your feet about a foot away from it.
  Raise your toes so all your weight is on your heels.  This is more
strengthening for the shins than stretching, but is very beneficial for me.

5 - Stand feet about shoulder width apart.  Point right foot forward,
left foot to the left.  Lean to your left so the left leg bends and your
left knee is over your left ankle (weight is on your left foot). Reverse and
repeat for the right leg.  This stretches the adductors.

6 - Put your left hand behind your back and reach as high as you can
(palm facing out).  Reach the right hand over your right shoulder (palm
facing in) and try to touch the left hand.  Reverse and repeat. Good for
rotator cuff and general shoulder flexibility.

As soon as possible after exercise, do the stretching that is
comfortable for you - remember never to bounce, always ease into a position
and try to hold for  a count of 5.   Also, especially if you know you've
overexerted - use self-massage!  Rub the muscles down using a kneading
motion right away (this works even better if you've managed to get into a
nice warm bath), and you'll be significantly less sore the next day.  You
get the most benefit the sooner you do it though.

I'd also recommend getting the book "Stretching", by Bob Anderson.  It
has many different stretches, what they're good for, and very clear
illustrations.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0394738748/o/qid=926552760/sr=2-1/002-3059192-3517848

>Quip o' the day...If at first you do succeed, try not to look
>astonished.

Very true... you'll just give yourself away!

Sandpiper
---
Where you've been is dead and gone - all you keep's the getting there
To live is to fly, low and high, so shake the dust off of your wings
and the sleep out of your eyes....
Townes VanZandt