Oops! Re[3]: [at-l] Wow! My original intro and ADA

     I would like to apologize to OrangeBug for mis-addressing what was
     supposed to be my private reply to him -- obviously I didn't clean out
     the addressing-to-all before I hit "send". What was supposed to be a
     minor "rebuke" to lighten up and to see the similar VALIDITY of the
     other side of the issue...ended up as a public doink I did not intend
     -- and did not intend because I didn't want to feed this thread. Or
     rather feed the sniping tone starting to inject itself into this
     thread. And speaking of injections, I also put in what was supposed to
     be a private doink at the ATML, and by making it public, I also
     contributed to the thought on the ATML that the AT-L has some sort of
     institutional bias against it. That is unfortunate, too, and I
     apologize for that, as well, to both the AT-L and to the ATML, for
     those who "are members" of both.

     For the record, I would recommend we all take a breath and do two
     things: 1) observe the reality of the gross distortion of the sense of
     the ADA -- a distortion oblivious to common sense or fiscal prudency,
     for dollars public or private; and 2) observe that Max Rice (who, as
     Felix quickly noted, needs no new trail name) asked for no quarter in
     his original post other than the ability to go where he was able -- no
     different than any other hiker worth his Lekis.

     For myself, I recognize the problems with the ADA, and recognize the
     abuses of so-called "handicapped access" by the able-bodied. Also, I
     do not think it practically possible for a wheelchair-bound person to
     complete a throughroll of the AT. Nor do I believe it possible for a
     totally blind person to throughhike the AT, no matter how smart the
     seeing-eye dog. Been wrong on that one! And if someone had told me
     that a MS-sufferer legally blind with cataracts would multiple-hike
     the AT, or an eighty-year old dude (no matter that he done some hiking
     beforehand), I would have laughed and been wrong there, too.

     No, I don't think it's possible for a wheelchair to roll the AT. Not
     practically, anyway. But in a foot race in my (well, for Indianapolis)
     "hilly" neighborhood last fall, I caught up to one of the wheelchair
     racers in a quarter mile of the course where it went uphill
     cross-country through a golf course. It was (by running/racing
     standards) a pretty steep go, and most of us where huffing and puffing
     pretty bad, but the "wheels" guy was grunting and huffing and howling
     with every rotation, going REALLY slow, sweat flowing and shaking off
     him with every jerk forward of the chair over the ruff of the course.
     But everybody yelled as they went by "Keep it up, Wheels!" "Good job,
     Wheels!" "Way to go, Wheels!" and we all knew not to listen for a
     reply, cause this guy needed every molecule of air just to inch
     forward. When we hit pavement again, the wheelchair guy took off, and
     got the same cheers again from the same runners who'd passed him on
     the grass. He passed me perhaps a quarter mile from the (uphill)
     finish line, just as I was starting my warp-drive kick for the end. We
     raced for a couple of hundred yards, and I was able to pass and stay
     ahead of him (barely) with 200 yards to go. We were in different
     divisions and were way out of any "award" contentions anyway, but most
     "pedestrian" races are this way: "fun runs" till the finish line is
     within mental grasp, then all out battles occur. And so he and I
     battled, stride for stride, thrust for thrust, both of us battling
     fatigue and the uphill finish..... (Thoughtful pause.)
     No, I don't think it's possible for "wheels" to do the AT, but I have
     to scratch my head when I think about Bob Barker, Bill Irwin, Earl
     Schaffer, and for that matter, Emma Gatewood and others. Ruff-Tuff
     throughhikers, them. And I have to further qualify my thoughts when I
     think (now) about doing it with two motivated sons: Holy Cow. And the
     wild, excellent possibilities of the home-school/throughhike thing...

     As Max stated, he's only investigating what the problems are, and how
     they might be addressed. To paraphrase Thoreau, Don't scoff at them as
     build their castles in the air; rather, work then to build the
     foundations underneath them.

     Sorry to prattle on so...This started out as an apology.

     Sorry, OrangeBug.

     da Ol' absent-minded Sloetoe