[at-l] Food for the hik

With a week to go before I leave for ME to start my hike I sort of figured
it was time to get serious about some food for the trail. The wife and I
went to town and made a few stops at different stores and for $200+ managed
to load the car with pasta, rice, cereal, goodies, and every available
Lipton dinner.

As we were checking out the young woman at the checkout kept looking at the
mountain of Lipton packages and at us so I finally said, "She doesn't cook
much." That remark cost me dinner out, after which we managed to make a
dent in repackaging everything. It seems like a mountain of food but
according to plan will be gone in 63 hiking days.

On a more positive side we had ordered some powered butter and powdered
cheese blend via the www from Emergency Essentials (www.EvirDay.com) and it
came today. Let me tell you, this stuff is good. The butter, when mixed
with water tastes like real butter and when I stirred the cheese into some
pasta it make a good dish. The packages are rather large and seem expensive
till you compute the number of servings. For a thru hik I think it will
work out fine.

Jim

6 days and counting

jimhipp@worldnet.att.net