[at-l] Re: An into

Welcome Max--
        The Applachian Trail Conference (ATC) is currently beginning to
(finally) officially address ADA accessability on the trail.  The "Access
Board", made up of ACT, NPS and representitives of groups advocating for
citizens with many different "disabilities" (hearing, sight, ambulatory,
etc) is reportedly close to publishing its first position paper regarding
access--not only to the footpath but to other "primitive" facilties
including shelters and privies.  It is likely that a standard for trail
construction will be included.

Needless to say, quite a wide range of response is anticipated.  Many
people (not-disabled) react in some kind of stunned disbelief, that
shelters and privies located miles from a trailhead over extremely rough
terrain would have to meet ADA standards.  No one expects the document to
call for a complete accessability refit of the AT footpath, but trails that
are currently in the planning stages could possibily face this requirement,
and it may keep them form being completed, as constuction costs for a fully
accessable trail are many thousands of $ per mile.

Currently ALL wheeled vehicles are banned from the AT foot path, unless
local easement are negotiated.  I hope that the Access Group will
specifically recommend changing this rule to allow devices that assist the
disabled (but still continue to ban other things like bikes and ORV's)

Personally, I find it quite reasonable that new construction of facilities
meet ADA standards.  Much of the AT is accessable by ORV (off road
vehicles, such as 4 wheelers and snowmobiles, not to say horses).  It now
appears that certian areas of Adirondak Park in New York will be required
to allow access to the disabled in ORV, despite the current ban on
motorized vehicles.  In Connecticut there is a section of the AT that has
been restructured to accomodate wheelchair users.  It is included as part
of a nature trail loop, and is very flat and not representive of the "AT
Experience"--whatever that may be.

As a member of a local AT Committee (AMC Berkshire), and an avid hiker, I'm
very interested in your thoughts and comments regarding this question.  I
also will be happy to forward to you the report of the Access Board when it
comes out.  The more points of view from active outdoors-people they hear,
the better.

I think you will find this list full of thoughtful listeners with a wide
range of opinions and experiences.  I look forward to an insightful and
lively discussion.

Cosmo

"There are three great times for thinking --
 On the john, in the shower, and while hiking.
 And the best of these is while hiking."
        --Colin Fletcher.

Life is Fast, Walk (OR ROLL) Slowly