[at-l] Section Hike Trip Report - Bear Mtn. to Kent, CT

Greetings,

As part of stringing together a northbound 2000-miler effort, I'm fresh back
from a 65 mile section from Bear Mountain, NY to Kent, CT.  Traveled up to
Bear Mtn. this past Friday, hiked that afternoon, and arrived at Kent on
Tuesday.  The trail maintenance through this area is impressive; I passed
only a handful of blowdowns the entire way.  For the most part, forgiving
terrain, with the only significant northbound climbs occurring in the last
stretch between Bulls Bridge and Kent.  Or, maybe the climb out of Bulls
Bridge just seemed tough after loading up on ice cream and sandwiches there.
Weather was a mixed bag, with cold rain, high winds, a lot of sun, and an
unexpected inch of snow on Sunday night.

Enjoyed hiking three days with Smegol, a South African out for a 400 mile
stretch as part of his one year off between high school and college.  Found
out what a klipspringer was, and heard quite a bit about the Drakensberge
Range.  Gonna have to go someday.  Next section, Kent to Dalton or so,
probably slated for this Fall.

The logistics of my travel to the AT included a drive to the Atlanta
airport, flight to Newark, bus to Grand Central, Hudson Line train to
Peekskill and a cab to Bear Mtn.  Got a shuttle back to Wingdale, NY to
catch the Harlem Line train to get back to Grand Central.

Take Care,

Tim Rich
Kennesaw, GA