Re: [at-l] World of the day

Steve the American tourist was in darkest Africa (which is definitely a
third world country)!  At this time of the year, it is generally still
quite light at 6 p.m. and having just come down off one of the hiking
trails through the Drakensberge (Mountains of the Dragon), he was doing the
tourist thang.

Dressed in his corduroys as his safari suit was being laundered, he
strolled through the tribal village, dictionary in hand, trying to
summarise (yup - in D.Africa we spell it like that) and understand the
strange words he was hearing from the locals.

Seeing an old man sitting outside his mud hut using a hatchet to cut fire
wood, Steve walked up to him and in his frienliest voice said, "Buddy, do
you live here?"  The old man replied in perfect Cockney English: "No,
Bolivia and as 'e's our local witchdoctor, 'e's about to examine me sore
froat with this 'ere wooden spatula."

BTW - Klipspringer is planning to return to the USA in June to hike the
section of the AT he couldn't complete...

Pat