Re: [at-l] solo hiking

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:36:58 -0000 " bluestreak"
<bluestreak@mailcity.com> writes:
>tent or shelter,take a day off etc. Any thoughts??
>---

Solo hiking is my preffered method of backpacking, almost by default.
Other than one buddy of mine I have known since 1st grade (we are both
survivors of Catholic school, kind of like surviving some weird from of
Communist brainwashing, but the Nuns are more vicious), no one in my
ciricle of friends and family likes to backpack. {But there is hope..I am
now seeing  what has been a rarity in my life, a gal who likes to hike!
We shall see how that story turns out. :D )

   So in the past few years, if I wanted to backpack, and Tim was not
able to get out for the weekend, I would have to take off by myself for
two or three days.

  When solo hiking you notice things more, you think more. I find it to
be more mentally satisfying to hike alone. As you have said, you can
dictate your own pace and schedule, but you also can dwell what you chose
to think about. Good mental housekeeping happens when hiking solo.
Somehow the sound of the brook seems more distinct, the sounds of birds
that much clearer, the views from the summit that much awe inspiring.
They are all things you have  done, and earned by yourself.
   I enjoy hiking with different people for the camraderie, the sense of
sharing an adventure. But I find that solo hiking is a needed  component
in my life.

   On a more utilitarian level, you might have to adjust your equipment a
bit. A lighter tent, maybe a more paired down first aide kit, etc. But as
with most aspects of hiking, the adjustment is more mental than physical.
You depend on yourself, and not someone you are with.

Enjoy your solo hiking adventures, you will find them to be very
memorable.