Re: Re[2]: [at-l] Hiking Poles and a small trip report

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:42:18 -0500 tmcginnis@ucclan.state.in.us (Thomas
McGinnis) writes:
>     metal joint fitting on the end. All these options weigh half or
>less  >     than "those fancy hiking poles." All that said, the aluminum

The hiking stick I used for the AT is wood, has a stainless steel pipe
bottom, and has a rubber machine tool grip. Used it on the LT as well.
Just needs a new coat of varnish.... total cost? $15

I recently went "high tech"..I have been snowshoeing quite a bit this
past winter, and needed something that did not sink in the snow quite as
easily. Bought two X-country ski poles for $10 total at the local used
sporting goods store. The color scheme leads something to be desired
(bright yellow poles, bright red handles!..), but hey, it works quite
well.

So, those trekking poles may work well for you. But I can't see myself
spending $60 (or more!)  a pole for something that is a ski pole with a
Slinky inside... but that is just me, I am the same guy who wears a  $20
fleece pullover from Filene's Basement..	.

This past Monday until this morning (Wednesday)  enjoyed using  my $10
ski poles (and $20 fleece) on a trip in New Hampshire. Wow, was it ever
beautiful out. There was absolutely NO clouds in the sky, the sun was so
bright that it felt much warmer than the 10-15 degrees it was. Since this
was strictly a snowshoe trip below treeline, did not go to the peaks, but
seeing the peaks in the distance, all covered with snow, against this
incredibly blue background of sky was extremely spectacular.  Being a
weekday, pretty much had the trails to myself. It was the kind  of trip
that made you feel at peace with yourself once it was completed... Very
good trip.  (And my face now has a bit of tan..considering Mom went to a
fake and bake booth to get her tan, it is kind of funny.. ;D  )