Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles

In a message dated 3/10/99 9:05:09 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
alugpt@fanniemae.com writes:

<< In defense of "organic" hiking poles >>

Although I'm a Leki convert, I still treasure my wooden hiking stick, mostly
for sentimental reasons.  Gary has a very good point though, that wooden
sticks can work as effectively as trekking poles with the addition of hand
straps.

While camping in the Smokeys I saw a cut wooden stick left off to the side of
the parking area near Big Creek campground.  Someone had told me that a person
had been cutting sticks suitable for trail walking and leaving them for
others.  So I picked it up, brought it back to my site and proceeded to shave
off the bark and burning the end for proper height (toe to chin, ymmv).

Also during this trip to the Smokies, which was actually a move from Mass to
Florida, I met a couple that had hiked the AT in '92.  Although, I had heard
of the AT and actually thought of doing it several years earlier (came out of
my head one day), I had little idea of exactly where the trail lay or just how
long it was, I was extremely inquisitive.  Many of my questions to the couple
were answered.  Three weeks later, I was planning my own thru-hike.

Anyway, I took the stick, added a stirring wheel cover for a grip and tacked
on the small brass plague for the Mass AT.  I also drilled two holes in it for
a future strap, which I added later on the trail consisting of a nylon cord
and an adjustable web.

Definitely, one of a kind.

Yada, yada yada.

Sly