Re: [at-l] Stair climbers

Somehow I didn't get this thread in the digest, but here's my 2 cents worth.

I did a lot of research before my thruhike about training & injuries. Most
of the advice is 'thruhiking' is the best way to train for a 'thruhike'.
I'd have to agree now.

Runners and all those other top-shape people had the most trouble (and I'd
guess the highest dropout rate) because their heart/lungs and leg muscles
were in great shape but their joints weren't prepared for the extra pack
weight.  From all my digging, that was the most prevalent injury.  Ligaments
and tendons are very slow adapters (grow slowly) so the best way to get them
stronger is to hike with a packpack on.  Can't get outside, wear it indoors.
I walked to/from work with my packpack on 3/week, adding a little more
weight each month before I finally left for Springer. The important thing is
the body gets used to being 40-50 pounds heavier.  I never had one problem.

Plus the 'runners' started out from Springer with much higher mileage days
planned.  I only had an average of 9-10 mile/day planned the first month.
Not one hiker that passed me in those first weeks, made it to Katahdin.
Take your time, let your body adjust, listen to your body, and have fun.
Remember you're going to be sore, just watch for pain.

I definitely know that Earl Schafer didn't use a stair stepper to train for
his thruhike last year at the age of 79.

Saw a thruhiker from Quebec arrive in Harpers Ferry with a knee the size of
a basketball after a 20+ mile day.  Turns out he'd been doing high mileage
days, just to soak his knee in the springs and streams to get the swelling
down each night.  He might have had the courage of a lion but he had the
brain of the tinman.  He quit two days later.  Thruhiking is not a contest,
have fun, but use your head.

Ok, that's my soapbox.

Dragon's Breath GA-ME'98 / Jim Damico / Kansas City, MO
Jim@Damico.net | www.Jim.Damico.net