Re: [at-l] food in tent (do you ?)

<<  Hi,     I usually put my food bag in the tent with me at night,  Has
anyone done this and had any problems. I just feel better if it close at hand.
Only once in the whites did something scratch at the tent,  Just wondering,
thanks, lisa >>

I wouldn't do this in NY/NJ and other areas where bears are prevalent.  Always
hang your food and garbage well away from your tent.

A friend of mine had her pack with her in her tent.  In the wee hours of the
morning she heard some scuffling, then felt her pack being dragged out of her
tent!  A bear had ripped open the front of the tent and was carefully dragging
the pack out.  She found a pot and started to bang loudly, yelling all the
while.  She managed to scare the bear away, but not after quite a fright.  Her
tent was ruined.  Foodwise, all that she had had in her pack was a peach pit!
(This was in the southern Catskills, two summers ago.)