Re: [at-l] food in tent (do you ?)

Tim Hewitt wrote:

> > lisa wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >     I usually put my food bag in the tent with me at night,
> > Has anyone done this and had any problems. I just feel better if it
> > close at hand.
> > Only once in the whites did something scratch at the tent,
> >     Just wondering, thanks, lisa
>
> I've only known one person who lost food from within their tent and they
> were camping in Alaska. A big brown bear (not a grizzly) came right
> through the side and mauled them both while digging for candy bars and
> other sundry stuff. He dragged the food bag about 100 yards away and sat
> and ate his fill.  They were lucky to not be seriously hurt. He
> basically treated them like logs - rolling them out of his way to get to
> the food.
>
> I don't keep my food bag in the tent, however I kept it in my pack
> outside the tent for 20 years in Washington state without ever having a problem...
>
> -Paddler

I had trouble with chipmunks on Mt. Rainer getting into my pack, which
was beside me on the trail as I slept (no shelter).  I've had troulble
with skunks in northeran Calif. getting into my things.  The list goes
on, but just take your best shot in the circumstances.

Turtle  GA>ME 99
  a.k.a. Howard Lyons