Re: [at-l] Pack Weight

In a message dated 2/12/99 8:29:35 PM Central Standard Time,
bluestreak@mailcity.com writes:

<< Hkrtrash, can you tell us what gear you were carrying that you gave up?? >>

As I think more about it, I replaced more gear than I got rid of.

I replaced my Dana Design Terraplane with a Dana Jet Pack.
Replaced my North Face Foxfire (5* down) with a Feathered Friends Hummingbird
sleeping bag. (20* down)
Got rid of my Thermarest standard in favor of a Thermarest LE 3/4. (actually
saved over a pound and gained a lot in comfort.  Besides, I'm old and deserve
a cushy matress ;-)
Replaced my Clip Flashlight with a Nomad Lite (it hasn't been delivered yet,
so I'm taking Kurt at his word on the weight.)
That takes care of the BIG stuff, the rest came from changes in smaller gear.
Ditched my trusty Pur Scout (at least 6 years old, and never clogged) in favor
of PolarPure and vitamin C.
Replaced Nalgene bottles with a Platypus 2 liter hoser. (will still use the
bottles in really cold weather)
Got rid of Petzl Micro in favor of single AAA Mag lite. (don't hike at night
anyway)
Replaced 1.5 liter Evolution pot with 1.3 liter Titanium pot. (bought on sale
CHEAP)
Got rid of Swiss Army Knife.  Replaced with small Gerber lock back knife and
folding scissors.
Switched to Esbit stove and fuel from my Whisperlite. (I only cook one meal a
day and this is plenty of stove for that)
I am sure to be missing a few small things here, but these were the main
changes.  Keeping your pack, sleeping bag, pad, and shelter to under 10 lbs.
will make more difference in lightening your load than anything else.  I still
have quite a few things on my list that will most likely get cut before April,
but I doubt that I can take more than another pound or so out of it until the
hot weather arrives.  Then I can see losing at least an additional 3-5 lbs.  I
replaced a lot of gear with lighter things, and it wasn't cheap.  But I bought
a lot of it over time and at sale prices, so I didn't spend as much as it
sounds.
Now I find myself with too much boot for the weight, but the ones I have now
are too new to even consider replacing at this time.  I hope to put enough
miles on them over the next year or so to wear them out, then my feet will be
lighter, too.

Good Hiking,
Jim
"Earth gives life and seeks the man who walks gently upon it."