RE: [at-l] Shelter sleeping

Patty,

> far far away from my tent.  So do any of you think it is risky to
> hang food
> bags in the shelter where you are sleeping?  And someone else
> mentioned that
> you have to use shelters in the Smokies...is this true?  I had planned on
> mostly stealth camping on my thru hike.  (yes, I read Jardines book.)

First of all, although I have been hiking climbing and canoeing for over
thirty years, mostly in the back country away from normal trails, I have
never, ever, been bothered by a bear as long as I followed the rules.

1) Don't feed the animals...this means hang your food bag using the two tree
method, one tree doesn't work, although it does provide an entertaining
spectacle as the bear claims the bag.

2) Don't cook in or near your tent or your sleeping bag. Bears are attracted
by the scent of food. With few exceptions, you don't smell like food.

3) In bear country, don't travel alone.

Now for the exceptions: bear country is that place where, Grizzly, Kodiak
and Polar bears live, to them, you smell like food. Bear country is also the
GSMNP (and Yellowstone for you westerners). In the park, people and their
trash are synonymous. The bears know this and will approach campsites
practically every night whether you see them or not. Mostly, they still
leave people alone, but it isn't a good idea to take chances.

The GSMNP is one of the most heavily used parks in the country. I'm not
sure, but I think it even beats Yellowstone, certainly for backcountry
usage. While traveling through the GSMNP on the AT hikers are required to
stay in the shelters for their own protection. All food, trash and cooking
utensils should be stored inside the shelter also. The shelters are quite
safe and although there have been incidences of bears "rattling the cage" as
far as I know, none have ever got in. A bear did destroy a tent full of
supplies belonging to the Ranger's at Icewater Springs a year or so ago, but
it left the shelter alone.

There are also several approved backcountry campsites near the trail. Lower
Walnut Bottom is only about 2.5 miles off of the trail below Cosby Knob,
which is frequently full, next is Otter Creek, only 0.7 miles from the trail
on Greenbriar. It is several days to the next one, Camp Rock is a little
over 4 miles from the Double Spring Gap Shelter, Ledbetter Ridge is about
2.5 miles from Russell Field, and the last one is Sheep Pen Gap, about 3
miles up the Gregory Bald Trail on the old route of the AT.

I have only hiked this part of the trail once in recent years. There are
others on the list who hike it more frequently. I think Tom Fort lives near
there, maybe he could add some to this.

Lee I Joe