Re: [at-l] Trailplace

i saw it too.  I don't know how old the child was but the point is that
any child of any age could read it.  He not only told the girl to lie but
to continue lying.  The stupid cell phone bit.  A girl asked for help
to calm her parents fears cause they wanted her to carry a phone.
He told her to "drop" the phone and tell them it was an accident and
then tell them the replacement never caught up with her maildrops.
All this so the parents would 'grow up' and allow the girl to grow
on the trail.
How is lying to you parents a good way to learn to be adult.  How
would having your child lie to you assuage your fears?
And since Dan is a hero to so many, this message could be taken as
permission to lie by any kid that reads it.  He started out OK by telling
her to be firm and refuse the phone but then I guess he lost his temper
and went waaay round the bend IMHO.  Some father objected (kinda
stong but not as strong as could be and naturally got kicked off).
All I could think of was my little brother just a couple years ago.  If he
got it into his head to hike at age 15 and read Dan telling someone that
their parents need to grow up...he'd take that as permission to run away
to the Trail.  Now that would not be Dan's fault.  My parents raised
more than one stubborn headstrong child.  But I'd hate to be in Dan's
shoes if my father heard anything about "W.F. said you need to grow up!"
Dan I bet your out there so I'm saying for your own good you better
think twice before encouraging "kids" to lie to their parents.  You may know
how old the girl in question is but you never know who else is reading and
taking everything you say as gospel.  Hero status is a dangerous thing that
requires thoughtful responsibility.