Re: [at-l] Trailplace

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:39:28 -0800 kahley7 <kahley7@ptd.net> writes:

>>  He not only told the girl to lie but to continue lying.

Sounds like he doesn't think there's anything wrong with lying. Exactly
who is it OK to lie to, just your parents or anyone you don't agree with?
If it's OK to lie to your parents in order to do a thru hike, what else
permitted?

>>All this so the parents would 'grow up' and allow the girl to grow on
the trail.

I believe someone else needs to grow up.

>> Some father objected (kinda stong but not as strong as could be and
naturally got >>kicked off).

Good for him, someone needs to speak out when things like this happen.
This father objects to this sort of stupid advice also. No one with any
knowledge of raising children would ever give this type of advice. I say
again the age of the child is unimportant.

>> Hero status is a dangerous thing that requires thoughtful
responsibility.

None of my heros ever encouraged me to lie to anyone, honesty is
generally an important trait in heros. In fact, I don't believe I would
want to have anything to do with anyone, hero or not who encourages
people to lie. Who decides when it's OK to lie and about what? If you
weren't the one to post this Kahley, I don't know if I would believe this
sort of advice would be given by anyone dedicated to giving " good
advice". If WF believes lying is good advice, I'd have to be suspect of
any other " good advice" he might give. I truly hope this whole thing has
been taken out of context and no one has been encouraged to lie to their
parents over a cell phone. I hate to hear them ring in the forest too,
but lying....to your parents, this is outrageous!!!

woodelf

sorry for the long post, but not the content, the parent in me took
control