[at-l] Relationships and the AT

Tom's post struck a chord. Actually, previous to the Ruck, we'd had an offline
discussion and I was hoping to bring this topic up amongst the Rucksters.
Imagine my surprise when there were too many of them to fit in one room! But
given our style of online banter, I think this topic might elicit some
thoughtful responses.

I ask because my personality shifted into this attitude a few years ago, not
long after the twin whammies of the loss of a close co-worker and a
potentially-fatal auto accident in which a concussion left me unable to
communicate for more than a month. I still suffer some cognitive damage from the
concussion, and now have a nervous tic I can't control. Out of the depression
that commenced with these two acts, I emerged (with the help of therapy) with a
clearer sense of self, back in touch with the goals of my youth (including the
AT), and a self-confidence I'd never had before. My marriage was in shaky shape
at the time. Since then, its been much worse.  I shan't go into the
details...some of you already know them. But it still makes me wonder:

Does the goal-oriented, independent, adventuresome attitude that a would-be
thru-hiker acquires cause marital problems?
Or, does marital (or relationship) discord bring about these changes in a
person?

The floor is open!
"Navigator" Sandy