Re: [at-l] Welcome Mat

Jennifer Sawyer wrote:

> Oh, let me tell you!  Felix was carryin' those Ferret things LONG before
> he donned a backpack.  Last October, he left two of those damned little
> furry things at my house.  The bred.  I am now being sued by the city of
> Boston because they're blaming ME for the rat problem in the subway.  I
> tried to tell 'em that Ferrets and Rats are altogether different
> creatures.  You try talking to an infuriated Mayor Menino.  Have you ever
> seen a ferret breed?  Ugly.

> > In a message dated 1/27/99, 7:00:50 PM, grey_owl1@juno.com writes:
> > << Please no ferrets, Felix left me one this past summer.>>
> >
> >   How many of you other folks are harboring ferrets
> > left by Felix?  In fact, how many was he carrying to begin with??
> >
> > The Redhead

I was going to point out that the gestation period of a ferret is roughly
25 days. The females are mature enough to reproduce after only 7 weeks.
So, I wisely started out with one pregnant female. She went to birthin'
before I was even out of the 100 miles. So, to make a long story, well,
long, I finished the hike with 12 great-great-great-grandferrets of the
original Katahdin ferret (I named her Priscilla). I think I ended up
hiking with a total of 143 different ferrets. I only brought two home.
And, believe you me, the rats in Boston have a long history in that fine
city. Now, what is wrong with the way a ferret breeds? All things are
beautiful if given a chance...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98