[at-l] Urban Trail Myths (Was: Hello!)

I wrote:
<snip>
> Gasoline burns "dirtier" than white
> gas, meaning the flame won't burn as hotly, there will be a good amount of
> soot, and your stove will most likely need to be cleaned.

Thomas added:
>>        So now I'm curious, Jeremy..... Are your comments below based on
>>        using high test or "regular unleaded." If you remember,
>>        anyway...

It was probably 89, but it might have been 87 octane... i can't remember which. You
would probably only have to clean your stove if you used it for any extended period
of time. I never had to use it on my thru... the only time i used it was this last
October when i didn't have time to find any white gas. The stove flame was just as
you described it... much more yellow and "fire-like" than the usual blue jet flame.
I was only out for a few days, and burning the gasoline created A LOT of soot. My
hands were filthy after each handling of the stove and (cook) pot. One of the guys i
hiked a lot of miles with used gasoline more than once with his Whisperlite
International. I don't know what the octane rating was, but he had to clean his
stove after a few stints of using it. I used white gas the whole time and never had
to do a full cleaning of my stove. Pretty good for almost 7 months of continual use!

-Rambleon-