Re: [at-l] A.T. Books

In a message dated 1/27/99 5:32:24 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
runhorton@juno.com writes:

<< I know there is some people who do not approve of the way I did the A.T.
 but the A.T. holds a very special place in my heart otherwise I would not
 be on this list.   >>

David,

I found it impossible, after having set foot on the AT, not to love it.  So
it's easy to understand your feelings.

Although, at one point I thought to run the trail was ludicrous and probably
still do, but only because, I'm not a runner, I'm a backpacker.  However,
after meeting one of the guys that was trying to beat your record this year,
breifly talking, asking questions, did I gain a certain respect for the long
distance runner.  I thought he was a nice kid and felt sorry when I heard he
gave it up and didn't reach his goal.

What I found interesting this year as my hiking speed built up, it was almost
like the trail was running under me, that I was standing still, with lots of
time to see the roses, if not smell them.  I felt this not only on the flats
but anywhere I had good footing and could let it out.  Of course I didn't
always have this sensation, but when I was in the "zone", so to speak.  I'm
pretty sure other hikers have this sensation but, do trail runners?

This year I'll be attempting to thru-hike the PCT.  Although not trail
running, there will be many days I'll "need"  to do 20 to 30 miles or more, in
other to make the distance before the weather sets in. But, from what all I
understand this is like a "good" day on the AT, I'm pretty sure the sensation
will be back.

I curious, do you know of a speed record on the PCT?  Have you ever considered
it?

Best of luck in all your endeavors,  Sly