[at-l] McAfee Knob, Charlies Bunyon

>McAfee Knob has one of the most spectacular views I've seen in
>the southern half of the AT. (Wicked tough climb though, at least
>from the southern end.)  <snip>

McAfee Knob has it all.  It alone is spectacular, the way that the rock
seems to defy gravity as it juts out toward the heavens.  Then, the view
into the pastoral valley is down right goose-bumply.  Plus, you can
visually follow the route that the AT takes:  following the ridge until
passing over Tinker cliffs, then taking a sharp right to follow another
ridge, then a short zig-zag jump to another ridge, and finally dropping
off of the mountain towards Daleville.  I like map reading, and being
able to look at the map, then raise my eyes and follow the same route is
pretty neat...

I found the climp up to McAfee knob to be rather easy.  In my
recollection, the trail is cut wide ( you can hold hands with your honey
), and is fairly well graded, with some rock debree, and only a few steep
spots.  Plus, there are two shelters that make great spots to take a
breather...

BUT, for shear majesty along the southern half of the trail, my vote has
to go to Charlies Bunyon in the Smokies.  For shear death defying
delight, scenery that knocks your socks off, and great echos, echos,
echos, don't miss this place!  I caught it on a spectacular, clear, sunny
day, and was overwhelmed...

pittsburgh