Re: [at-l] I have a question

>There is a veryvery slight chance that I may be hiking in Georgia
>next Mar.  I know I should have picked this up by osmosis by
>now but I haven't.  What temps are average? Day/nite?  Thanks k./\

March is perhaps the most variable month of the year in north GA. So
much so that to talk about averages does little to know what to expect.

Remember that the AT through there is very different from the rest of
the state, and more similar to the lowlands around Harpers Ferry. At
4,000 feet (Blood, Tray, etc) it can be anywhere from about about -8 to
the 70's (shade); much warmer down low. Last March was one of those when
it went below zero. On average, you're talking 50's during the day and
30's at night. (this is significantly colder than Atlanta in March) This
is also one of the wettest times of the year, and it's usually a cold
rain. Snow during the month in this section is almost a yearly
occurrence, sometimes light, sometimes VERY deep.

Then there are the very warm, mild Marches where the sun beats down on
you, you're getting sunburn because there are no leaves to shade you,
and you're tempted to send your winter gear home - DON'T DO IT!! People
make this mistake every single year. Very warm spells are almost without
fail followed by some sort of cold snap, often severe. Sometimes that
doesn't happen until April, sometimes May.

So what I'm saying is expect anything, and enjoy it. I've done GA five
times, and EVERY time in the month of March. It's a great time to be
there (if you don't mind crowds). Take care,

wc