BACKPACK-L: Cancer survivor's hike

Sometimes life is in your control.  When hiking and backpacking you choose
where and how you go.  There is no obstacle too big to stop us.  When I got
married one of the things that we enjoyed were backpacking trips through
Yosemite.  Occasionally life confronts you and makes you realize how
precarious and fragile our grip is on what we hold dearest.  When my wife was
diagnosed with cancer last year, I had to face a situation I could not
control.  Our trail in life is not secure and safe, but sometimes we can
conquer, if only for a little while.

I am organizing a breast cancer survivor's hike to the top of Half Dome in
Yosemite National Park.  Half Dome is wonderful hike with dramatic views.  It
is a strenuous hike if done in one day, but we will take it easy and spend at
least two days getting to the top.  I am planning to go at the end of summer
during the Labor Day weekend, September 6.  If you are interested in going,
please contact me.  Breast cancer survivors are welcome and may bring their
spouse/significant others.

If this does not apply to you, please pass this on.  I would like to get more
participants, so if you know of a place, such as a store that caters to
hikers, please post this letter, or email me and we will make up a flyer.  If
you have any ideas on resources or ways to get word of this out, please feel
free to drop me a line.

MarkCovert@aol.com