[at-l] Re: A Couple JanSport Rockies Questions

In a message dated 1/14/1999 10:25:35 AM Central Standard Time,
lucian@sierranv.net writes:

<< Since you'll be using the Rockies on your thru-hike, I thought I'd pose a
few questions to you (if you don't mind).  If I can get this sucker
comfortable, I might use it too.

 1. Can you think of any reason not to cut out the "extension" (i.e. the
material and drawstring at the topmost of the main compartment)?  Seems like
overkill (and a couple ounces) on what seems to be an already large pack.

***I think it is overkill...two drawstings .. I would cut it away but I can't
sew : )...on the other side...I can deffinately get everything in there if I
stuff a fleece jacket on top..***.

 2. What do you do for hydration?  The mesh water bottle pockets seem awkward
to reach.

I have a dana wet rib up front and stick one water bottle there...I like the
idea of getting into camp with 2 liters on each side...may seem like a
lot..but I get thirsty at night...

 3. Have you found that carrying gear in the attachment straps at the bottom
of the pack makes it "bottom heavy"?  It seems like quite a long pack anyway,
and having weight back there at thigh level might get to me after a few days.
I'm thinking of cutting those attachment straps off too.
***The only gear I put on the attachment strap is a Z-rest....I have ton of
room in the pack so I pull the compression straps tight...I like the upper
compression strap cause it seems to tuck my load into a big square bundle....I
have considered cutting of the extra straps to conserve a few ounces..but I
justify not doing that by anticipating a PCT thruhike some day and thinking I
might need more room for an extra large jacket......
I am 5'9" ....and I wouldn't even consider another pack....I fell in love with
this one right away...I don't feel the shoulder pinch that I have felt with
other packs.....I can't imagine carrying a pack over 4 1/2  lbs either....I
would like to get my hands on a Jansport Minimalist.....I hear it is pretty
light...not really about money...although the Jansport  packs are really
inexpensive...and I will update everyone in October as to my experience with
their durability......I think it is really a pack for people over 5'8   I have
a 21 inch torso and have it on the smallest setting...I find that it is confy
there....I don't know if this helps...but I hope so
Christine R.
GA~~~ME 99

 Thanks in advance.

 Lucian ("Bristlecone")