[at-l] Questions from a '99er

Well, since Give Me Chocolate kindly offered the expertise of past thru-hikers to us 99ers, I jotted down just a few of my remaining unanswered questions.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone else ask them, so I thought I would.  [ahem] Here goes.

1.  I'm planning to do the AT next year, from South to North.  What's the best way to go about doing that?

2. Do I have to carry all my food for the whole trip, or are there stores and stuff?

3. Are there a lot of bugs?

4. What kind of gear would you recommend?

5.  Are there groups that will pay people to hike all the way?  The Sahara Club?  Or that tree-group... Whatsits name... John Birch Society?

6. Is it dangerous?

7.  Do most of the hostels have cable?

8.  What food would be good to bring?

9.  I've heard that people on the AT stink.  Is that true?

10.  What do I do if I have to go to the bathroom in between towns?

All advice greatly appreciated and fully tax deductible to the extent allowed under state and federal law.

Lucian ("Bristlecone")