[at-l] Tips for Sticks

There has been some questions about tips for walking sticks and
environmental concerns about hiking poles.  So, I thought I'd share an approach.

I have a bamboo stick I've used for years.

I cut the bamboo midway between two of those growth ring type ridges.

I then drilled a small hole about an inch from the bottom; cut a slot in one
side at the bottom.  I inserted an inch or two of a steel wire (about 18
gauge as best I remember) into the hole; wrapped the wire very tightly
around the bamboo all the way to the slot at the end; bent the wire into the
slot and pushed three or four inches up the center of the bamboo; and pinned
both ends of the wire by pushing an inch, or so, long small dowel up the
center  of the bamboo.  The dowel was pushed about 1/2 inch beyond the end,
leaving a "cup" at the end.

Then I mixed up an ounce or so heavy duty epoxy past (PC-7, I think) -- auto
body putty, steel paste, etc. would probably work also.  This stuff works
like putty and hardens like a rock.  I used it to fill the "cup" at the end,
then fashioned a "tip" about 1/4 inch beyond the end of the bamboo and  1/16
inch thick around the wire.  It looks like a crutch tip but wears like
steel; and I guarantee nothing will "suck" it off.

BTW -- I treat the bamboo with boiled linseed oil ever now and then and have
renewed the handle I fashioned on the other end, but the "tip" is still
going strong.

If you want a blunt end, make yours wider.

Chainsaw

BTW -- My old PC is not "browser" friendly.  So, I no longer post to ATML --
as I cannot use Trailplace on the www; albeit I still get the ATML digest.
In fact, I get both list in digest mode, because this piece of junk is too
slow to deal with individual messages.  Until I spring for a new machine,
I'm stuck in an old fashion  Email/ list server mode at home. I have more
computing power than I need at work, so it runs against my Scottish soul to
waste $s to chase the technology at home.

Bottom line, if anyone wants copy and paste any part of this suggestion to
Trailplace, please feel free.