Re: [at-l] new backpack

Adam Tarr wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>  I'm new to the sport of Backpacking.From my home in western PA I have
> access to plenty of trails.
>        I'm in the market for my first Internal frame pack. I've been
> doing a lot of research, checking gear reviews etc.,and I can't seem to
> make up my mind.
> I don't need it for an AT thru hike.More like 2-3 week jaunts.
>       I'm looking to spend between $200-$325. For those of you that are
> interested in offering me advice I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>                   thanks in advance,
>                                       Beefo

When I'm shopping for a backpack, there are a few things I keep in mind.

  1) don't get one so big I won't carry it
  2) don't get one so expensive I won't abuse it
  3) don't get one so frilly I won't figure out how to use it

Remember that an AT thru-hike is really a series of 3-7 day hikes - depending on
how you plan to resupply.

Most experienced hikers plan to carry no more than 45 pounds - many will cary
much, much less. Don't buy a huge pack only to load it half full when you have
your gearlist completed.

I tried three "finalists" when I bought my last pack - a Gregory Shasta,
immeditately discontinued right after I bought it.  I loaded each pack with 50
pounds in the store after adjusting the packframe to fit my frame. The salesman
was horrified that I wanted 50 pounds loaded, but my logic was that if the pack
was comfortable after 20 minute of stomping around the store (LL Bean in
Freeport - lots of stairs, ramps and levels) that I would be happy with the pack
loaded to 35 pounds.

My strategy eliminated two of the three packs that just did not fit my frame
well - even after being adjusted multiple times.

For me the money was not the issue - comfort, fit and useful features were.

The pack has one shortcoming in my mind, and that is a lack of outside pockets.
Being from the old school where I had lots of pockets on my external frame pack
- I wanted pockets. I added on and now I'm happy :).

Good luck!

-Paddler

ps Check out my AT gear list at http://wcha.org/hike and see if this looks like
what you might carry for two weeks.