sample journal entry

Hi Chris-

This one is longer than most...

Friday, May 9, Day #19
I didn't like backpacking in the Smokies. I can't say why; I just wanted out. Got an
early start in hopes of doing just that. As I walked, I avoided looking up. The weather
may have freaked me out yesterday, but today it didn't faze me. The plan was to do as
well as possible on the uphills and make it up on the flats and downs. The morning
proceeded smoothly until I got too confident and removed the rain cover from my pack.
Soon rain started falling, and I struggled to put my pack on over the bright orange
poncho I picked up at NOC. As soon as I got back into my hiking rhythm, I ran into a
huge blowdown that completely blocked the trail. I tried this way and that before
realizing that the only way around it was actually through it. With fogged glasses and
flapping poncho, I gingerly worked my way through the boughs. I lost concentration for a
moment and felt two sharp scratches above my knees. By the time I got back on the trail,
blood was running down my rain-soaked legs. Damn! I didn't want to be bothered. I dabbed
at my legs with a bandanna, but the blood kept flowing. Not a good idea in bear country,
I decided. Exasperated, I threw off my pack and grabbed my first-aid kit. I finally had
a use for those two big band-aids--except they wouldn't stick to my wet legs. Now
feeling more like a befuddled superhero, I grabbed for my duct tape and went twice
around each knee. Just as I was fighting my way back into my pack, Bare Bones, a
wilderness EMT, arrived. "You want me to have a look at those?" "No," I snapped, "Where
were you five minutes ago?" We squished towards Cosby Knob shelter as the rain slowed.
Bare Bones decided to continue, declaring that he was wet anyway. I stopped at the
shelter to snack and check the forecast. I waffled and anguished over my decision until
Spot said, "Just do it." I bundled up at 3:30 and took off. Other than wind, the weather
held, and I was comfortable walking rapidly. Even though it wasn't raining, I decided to
keep the poncho on. As I approached the north end of the park, I checked my watch and
silently mourned the closing of the grill at Mountain Mama's. Over 22 miles and no
cheeseburger...I should have made an arrangement with Bare Bones...Left the park without
seeing a bear and marched my sore feet 1.2 miles down the gravel road. A shuttle would
be so good right now, but hoping for magic rarely works. Checked in at 7:30 and begged
some microwave pizza. Sean showed up and managed not to laugh at my orange poncho and
bionic knees. He explained the accommodations as I ate. I could pick my shack and man,
so to speak. The choices were the pink "honeymoon haven" with a guy I never met; the
white mobile unit with a tattooed skinhead I didn't want to meet; or the green "Hilton,"
complete with a deer mount, an indoor food bag hanger, and Sean. I collapsed in Sean's
cabin and drifted off to the sound of the creek. Somehow it made me think it was
raining. "YES!" I cheered myself, "Now I'll have an excuse to stay here tomorrow..."

Give Me Chocolate