Re: [at-l] Totally Unscientific Rain and Wind Clothing Tests

At 01:19 PM 1/3/99 -0700, John O wrote:
>Hi Folks,
..clip..
>Tilley Hat weight 6 ounces treated with Nikwax.

Hi folks, I've been away (from the list) for a while and just re-enlisted.
I only planned to lurk for a while but I'm curious about the use of Nikwax.
The guys in the Binghamton, NY EMS store told me it was just for treating
microfiber garments (Gore-Tex and the like) that are losing their
repellancy. They recommended using silicone spray on anything else. Anyone
have experience with this stuff? The Aussie outback coats use waxed cotton.
I don't plan on trying cotton but I have a 60/40 Mountain Cloth anorak that
I have considered waxing somehow. Does Wildbill have a site for information
on applying wax to clothing to make it waterproof?

Saunterer